Saturday, August 1, 2009

Bringing Back The Light

I grabbed my small tripod and headed for the park to get some night shots of the Manhattan Bridge. This bridge is in the news for the way it moves when cars and subways travel on it. Seeking something different I used various long shutter exposures. This shot - taken at about 9:30 p.m. - at 30 seconds - made it look like early evening. The passing clouds add a painterly touch.



Speaking of paintings, this 2 1/2 second exposure and me forgetting to set the timer when I pressed the shutter button - causing camera shake - produced this abstract of the Empire State Building. That's a happy accident.

The guy in the lower right corner rode up on his bike and sat down for several minutes. Again, it was pretty dark when I took the shot. But a 10 second exposure brought in plenty of light to show him and the Manhattan Bridge.



Earlier in the evening, at about 8 o'clock, long exposures aren't needed. I took this shot while standing on the Brooklyn Bridge. One of the towers of the Manhattan Bridge and the Empire State Building are made to look pretty close to each other because I used a zoom lens to compress the distance between the two structures.

No comments: