Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Getting ready for We Win!





Getting these type of sports pictures - called "Jubi" shots (short for jubilation) calls for the photographer to be thinking about being in the right place at the right time AHEAD of time. I was doing the public address announcing near homeplate at Yankee Stadium for this Northeast RBI Senior Boys regional championship game between the Jersey City Yankees and the winners here in blue - the Greater New York Sandlot team. Greater NY came from behind with two runs in the last inning to win 2-1. Just before the game-winning hit, I hoped for this very scene and made sure my camera was ready with the proper setting and that the "burst" feature to fire rapid shots was switched on. I was using my beat-up and soon-to-be-retired little Panasonic point and shoot camera. My vision of this end-of-game scene came true and I think these shots truly show the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat - as the losing pitcher is shown in the second frame standing with his hand to his face in shock. His Jersey City team was just one out away from the title when the rally started for Greater NY.

No comments: