Sunday, February 13, 2011

Movie Making In Brooklyn

Many TV shows and movies are filmed in Brooklyn, New York. But this is the first time since I moved to my present location last June that I've seen a crew set up its lights for a production. This is right across the street from my upstairs window and the lights we see here are to illuminate background shots for the main camera and lights that were across the street. I rendered this in black and white because the scene reminded me of those hundreds of film noir movies set in New York from the 40's, 50's and 60's.


Here's what it looks like on the ground and from behind the lights with real - not actors - people and cars going about their business while the filming went on up the street to the left. Those big windows in front of the lights are color correction filters - a light orange - to help balance the light so the camera records mostly white light from the various elements here: street lights, car headlights and exterior lights on buildings.

No comments: