Monday, January 16, 2012

Up In The Sky

Big time kite flying was on display in Florida over the weekend at the 15th annual Treasure Island Kite Festival & Competition. Kites of all sizes (including one rumored $5,000 model - the big dog below) were in the sky easily on a very windy day at the beach.


Yes ... this huge dog kite costs $5,000 and as you might have guessed, it was one of the more popular kites at the fest. It might be a better fit at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade because of its size. BTW, that yellow kite is a sting ray.


Since blue is my favorite color, I picked this kite as my "best in show" simply because of its sky-matching hue.


Treasure Island is close to St Petersburg, Florida where I used to live for seven years while I was with the Rays baseball team. Here is a look at the vast variety of kites at the fest.


The strong wind actually made the wrangling the smaller kites a tough job. So it was amazing to watch the kite dancing competition that's staged to the accompaniment of popular music tracks and is judged as one would judge a gymnastics or ice skating competition.


I wanted to make it seem as if a tiny kite was coming out of this guy's camera lens. I just got the right angle and shot quickly.











No comments: